BUILDING OF PLAYING FIELD COMPONENTS
If possible, the best way to focus your robot design is to construct components of the actual playing field. An important question for your team to decide on early is "Are you planning to build a full playing field, a fraction of the playing field, or certain components?" Obviously, this decision depends greatly on space and cost limitations.
- TIP - If possible, it is very valuable to at least build key field components (goals, parts of ramps, etc.). The quicker this is accomplished, the better perspective your team members will have on how the game will be played and how easy or difficult certain game tasks will be.
- TIP - MOE 365 assigns a group of willing parents to acquire building materials and build parts of the playing field. This provides an opportunity for parents to participate and does not interrupt the flow of brainstorming strategies / robot functions, which is what the students/adult mentors are doing in parallel.
BILL OF MATERIALS
- TIP - The FIRST Pre-kickoff Bill of Materials is typically released the week before the kickoff event. Check for it on the FIRST website.
- RESOURCE DOWNLOAD - Bill of Materials - Advance Buy 2005 (Adobe Acrobat pdf document 9KB)
PLAYING FIELD / GAME COMPONENTS
DECIDING WHAT TO BUILD
- You are probably planning to build the appropriate playing field and game components as specified in the FIRST game documentation. Depending upon your budget / space, you may consider building alliance stations and portions of the playing field.
HOW TO USE WHAT YOU BUILD
- Ensure that all team members have the opportunity to touch and interact with the field components you build. The best way for them to understand the game is to interact with the field components.
- TIP - Try to design flexibility in your robot to account for variability in field components. For example, plan for any playing field, scoring component, or goal dimensions to be slightly variable from match to match. As the field components take abuse from a full playing field of robots / match, they may also change shape.